More than 500,000 flee fires

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“This is the largest mass evacuation of a natural disaster in California history,” said Daniel Berlant of the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. In San Diego County, authorities placed evacuation calls to more than 346,000 homes, said Luis Monteagudo, a spokesman for the county’s emergency effort. The county estimates, based on census tracts, that approximately 560,000 people were ordered to leave, said Ron Roberts of the San Diego Board of Supervisors. To the northeast, fires in the San Bernardino mountains forced the evacuation of entire communities surrounding the resort area of Lake Arrowhead. Thousands of people, including hospital patients, were forced to flee advancing flames that leaped through the mountains, burning one home after another, destroying at least 300 and threatening as many as 10,000 more, said U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Gina Sampson. In neighboring Orange County, a fire chief lashed out at state officials, saying air support, such as tankers, might have helped control fires early on, before they burned homes, if it had been available. By Allison Hoffman and Gillian Flaccus THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN DIEGO – Deadly, wind-whipped wildfires have triggered the largest evacuation in state history, prompting more than 500,000 people to flee ahead of flames that destroyed more than 1,300 homes and continued Tuesday to threaten tens of thousands more. The number of people joining the mandatory exodus – and the number of homes destroyed – was expected to grow as new fires started and others continued to burn a path toward the sea – through populated communities. “There is not enough resources to go around ? because of the number of fires that are going on in our state right now,” said Orange County Fire Authority Chief Chip Prather. He said a dozen firefighters battling blazes in the Irvine and Lake Forest areas had to deploy emergency shelters, a last resort when they are surrounded by flames, or take cover in buildings. “They should not have had to do that,” he said. “If we’d had the resources earlier to take care of those lines with hand crews, we wouldn’t have been in that situation.” Prather’s comments came minutes before Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, touring fire damage in Lake Arrowhead, promised more help, including more people and equipment. When asked about the fire chief’s critical remarks, the governor said: “I’m not aware of that.” Berlant defended his agency’s actions, saying it had gone on high alert late last week and shifted resources to the San Diego area in advance of the forecasted Santa Ana winds. Meanwhile, in San Diego County, site of the only death so far, another 530 homes were reported damaged. Besides the one person killed by the flames, the San Diego Medical Examiner’s Officer listed four deaths as connected to the wildfires. Three were people in their 90s who died from natural causes; the fourth was a woman who died after falling at a restaurant. All are considered fire-connected deaths because they occurred during or after evacuations. The fire victim was identified as Thomas Varshock of Tecate, a town on the U.S. side of the border southeast of San Diego, the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office said. Authorities had told him to evacuate, but he didn’t leave and authorities left to take care of other evacuations, the Medical Examiner’s Office said. There were 45 injuries reported throughout Southern California, including at least 21 firefighters. The University of California, San Diego Medical Center Regional Burn Center was treating 16 patients from the San Diego County fires, including three firefighters and four others in critical condition. With some 410,000 acres, or 642 square miles, ablaze, President Bush declared a federal emergency for seven Southern California counties, a move that will speed disaster-relief efforts. He also scheduled a visit to the region on Thursday. Meanwhile, the Department of Defense agreed to send six Air Force and Air National Guard water- or retardant-dropping planes. Fire crews and fleeing residents described desperate conditions that were sure to get worse. Temperatures across Southern California were about 10 degrees above average and approached 100 degrees Tuesday in Orange and San Diego counties where Santa Ana winds gusted in some areas to 65 mph. The fires were exploding and shooting embers before them in all directions, preventing crews from forming traditional fire lines and greatly limiting aerial bombardment. In Orange County, flames tore through Modjeska Canyon, destroying homes after forcing firefighters to take cover. By Tuesday evening, some 50,000 people in San Diego were being allowed to return home, Roberts said. Many returned to two evacuated neighborhoods in San Diego – Del Mar Heights, near the ocean, and Scripps Ranch – as well as an evacuated portion of the city of Poway. At Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, about 40 aircraft that included F-18 fighter jets, C-130 cargo planes and Marine helicopters were evacuated to other bases in California and Arizona. Schwarzenegger, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator R. David Paulison and other officials toured burn areas in San Diego and the evacuation center at Qualcomm Stadium before holding a brief news conference. “If the weather cooperates, maybe we can turn the tide (Wednesday),” Chertoff said, adding “hopefully the wind will die down,” so firefighting aircraft grounded by strong gusts could return to the skies. State insurance commissioner Steve Poizner said he was taking steps to combat the fallout of the fires, including sending his department’s numerous services experts and fraud teams to the region and working with insurance companies to accelerate payments. Agriculture Undersecretary Mark Rey, who oversees the Forest Service, predicted Tuesday that the fires could cost federal, state and local governments more than $100 million. Full containment of the San Diego fires may not occur before Nov 1.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Track & Field Set To Host 40th Annual Jim Duncan Invitational

first_imgThe invitational resumes Saturday morning with boys’ and girls’ field events at 8:30 a.m., while running events being at 9 a.m. Print Friendly Version Live Results Last weekend Drake took home 12 first-place finishes and recorded a total of 43 top-five finishes at the Ottawa Invitational. Heat Sheets In their first competition on the Blue Oval the Bulldogs will face competitors from 10 different schools, along with Big Four rivals Iowa and Iowa State. The competition will also feature athletes from central Iowa high schools Story Links The Jim Duncan Invitational starts on Friday evening with field events beginning at 3:30 p.m., followed by collegiate distance races starting at 5 p.m. The Drake University men’s and women’s track teams are set to host the 40th annual Jim Duncan Invitational this weekend, April 15-16, at Drake Stadium. Meet Schedule last_img read more

BRIGHT FUTURE FOR IMPROVING SIDES

first_imgA focus on improving junior Touch is the key to gaining places in the higher ranks of the National Under 18’s Tournament. The Crusaders and the Combined Independent Schools sides have honed in on their junior talent and the result is massive improvement. South Australia and Victoria have followed their Under 20 counterparts combining their forces for the first time at the 18’s as well as the NTL’s under the Crusaders banner. This move comes in at a time when both SA and Victoria have made the decision to focus on their junior ranks. The team now known as the Crusaders competed up until this year under their individual state titles, struggling to climb out of the bottom group of teams. The Crusaders franchise has been working over the past two years building for their 20’s division and decided to combine to the 18’s side as well to build the franchise itself. Gavin Macdonald, the coach of the Crusaders men’s side, believes the decision is a positive step for both the SA and Victorian Touchies. “There is more depth in the talent, which helps create a stronger team,” Macdonald said. The Crusaders have implemented a new selection process incorporating a three game state challenge, during which all the players were selected. “We’re hoping that the new program will improve all the players within our junior ranks,” said Macdonald. In last year’s tournament when the teams competed as separate states, they finished second last and last respectively. The Crusaders men’s side has been a competitive team throughout this year’s competition thus far and it is put down to the new program. The level of talent within the two states is similar and as a result of this the Crusaders team is virtually half and half from each state. The NSW Combined Independent Schools Girls side has also made rapid improvement in their Touch form. Back in 2003 the side finished last in the National 18’s tournament, before creating history last year by winning their first ever match and then climbing to even greater heights this year. Now, in 2005 they were knocked out in the quarter finals by a strong NSWCCC side and will tomorrow face CQ in the play-off for fifth position…remarkable considering where they were ranked in 2003. The NSWCIS girl’s team progressed through to the 2005 round matches with four wins, one draw and a loss. Their coaches, Terry Savage and Kendall Devine, put it down to a new attitude the CIS has towards Touch. “CIS has put more time into the junior level and is more focused on the sport of Touch,” Savage said. This year is Savage’s first year as coach of the Womens side but has coached the boys for the past six years. “About three to four years ago Touch [within the CIS] was still in its infancy stage,” said Savage. CIS has put in place a Touch convener, based in Sydney, to improve the sport of Touch and to increase the interest and participation in the selection trials. “Touch is starting to gain momentum and is getting a lot of recognition and funding. We’re now also starting to acquire qualified coaches to coach the teams,” said Savage. CIS is beginning to develop a history within the sport of Touch with ex-players returning in their coaching ranks. “It is about building a culture within the sport,” said Savage. Savage believes that because teachers have become interested in the game, the basics are now being learnt in their schools, making it easier to take the next step up for Nationals and become a strong, competitive side. For the other sides competing at the National 18’s, it’s great to see the improvement from sides such as the Crusaders and NSWCIS, as they continue to strive to match it and even beat the leading contenders. By Jackson Gomanlast_img read more

Quinlan Impresses In First Series

first_imgThe year 12 student became one of only a handful of 17-year-olds to ever represent Australia at the Open’s level in the series, doing so with fellow 17-year-old Charlotte Caslick. It has been an impressive rise for Quinlan, who has achieved plenty in a few short years. At just 15 years of age in 2010, Quinlan was a part of the Sydney Mets Women’s Open team that won the 2010 National Touch League title and was there again when the New South Wales Mets won the 2011 Elite Eight title. She was also brought into the New South Wales Combined High Schools 18’s Girls side in 2010 as a 15-year-old and has won two consecutive titles with the team. She was also one of the youngest members of the Australian 18’s Girls side that defeated New Zealand three games to nil in the 2011 Youth Trans Tasman Series in Canberra. Quinlan says that to make the Australian Women’s Open team at such a young age was ‘really exciting’ and something she didn’t expect so early in her career. “I was really happy, it was one of my big goals to make the Australian Women’s Open team. I expected it a bit later, I didn’t expect it this early,” Quinlan said.  “We (Charlotte and I) are so young, I didn’t think we’d get the opportunity at this stage, but it’s really good.”Prior to the series, Quinlan said that what she was looking forward to the most was learning from the game’s best Women’s players. “Just playing with the girls, getting a lot of experience, I think experience is the main thing.”“I’ve learnt a lot from the girls, the older ones especially, like Woodsy (Kelly Woods), KJ (Kristy Judd) and Weezo (Louise Winchester). “There’s a lot of experienced players in the team…I’ve played with KJ and Weezo before but the Wollongong girls like Jess McCall and the Queensland girls, it’s the first time I got to play with them.”Quinlan impressed in her first series at the Australian Women’s Open level, playing all three games and winning the Kristy Judd award at the Australian Presentation Function following the series.The Kristy Judd award was created in the lead up to the 2011 World Cup, given to a player who epitomises the characteristics of one of the stalwarts of Women’s Touch Football. These characteristics include showing dedication and commitment, always putting the team first, being a good role model for the game of Touch Football, playing consistently well for Australia always in a good spirit and shows strong determination, passion and a competitive nature. Despite their achievements to date, both Quinlan and Caslick are still eligible to represent their country at a Youth level next year. “I was still a young one in that team (in 2011) and I’ll still be able to play next year as well.”last_img read more

10 months agoDONE DEAL: Real Madrid complete deal for Man City whizkid Diaz

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL: Real Madrid complete deal for Man City whizkid Diazby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBrahim Diaz has joined Real Madrid from Manchester City to Real Madrid, in a deal worth £15.5m, and could rise to £22m with add-ons.Real confirmed the signing on Monday, several hours after Diaz had completed a medical.”I have arrived at a club that I dreamed of playing for as a child,” an emotional Diaz said. “I could not have received a better Christmas present than wearing the Real Madrid jersey.”When I decided that it was time to leave Manchester City, I only put three options on the table.”The first, to play for Real Madrid; the second, to play for Real Madrid; the third, to play for Real Madrid.”I never wanted to go anywhere else, it is impossible to go to a better club. I promise to give 100 per cent from the first day and to pay back the faith you have put in me.”The 19-year-old signing a six-and-a-half-year deal, which includes a clause that Manchester City will receive 15 per cent of any future transfer fee, which will rise to 40 per cent if the buying club is Manchester United. last_img read more

Ernesto Valverde defends Carles Alena substitution

first_imgBarcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has defended his decision to substitute off Carles Alena in favor of Lionel Messi during the club’s 3–1 win over Leganes.Alena impressed in middle of the park before being withdrawn for Messi shortly after Martin Braithwaite drew Leganes level at 1-1.The Barcelona supporters reacted negatively to the 21-year-old’s withdrawal, but Valverde made the change for a specific reason.Speaking in his post-match news conference, Valverde said, according to FourFourTwo:FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).“Alena played a great match, but we thought it was a good idea to make changes at 1-1.”“[Ivan] Rakitic and Messi are used to playing together and we have opted for a turn, but that does not mean it [Alena’s performance] was not good.”“The other day the full game, Alena did not play and today he did. We have to give everyone games because they are all important.”last_img read more

3 New confirmed cases of Zika in TCI

first_img Related Items:3 new cases of Zika in TCI, pregnant woman confirmed to be infected with Zika in TCI, resorts report hundreds of thousands in cancellations due to Zika threat, Zika cases in both Provo and Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, August 15, 2016 – A pregnant woman is among the three new cases of the Zika Virus revealed by the Ministry of Health on Friday evening; three new cases to add to the five currently on record.Worse news is that we now know that Zika is being spread locally by mosquitoes or sexual contact as the two females and one male have not been outside of the country.  And it gets more serious, one of those women is pregnant.  Health Minister & Premier Rufus Ewing again bypassed having a press conference and opted for a recorded message.Hundreds of thousands of dollars in cancellations are reported to Magnetic Media by Providenciales resorts, as guests are opting out of a TCI vacation; this is troubling news for the leading industry.   It was the MOHHS surveillance program that got confirmation on the Zika Virus; since last week there had been travel advisories from the CDC for U.S. airline and cruise passengers coming to these islands, which depend largely on tourism as the key source of revenue.Zika prevention and mosquito prevention plans are stepped up says Premier Rufus Ewing; health and tourism professionals were met with last week on an action plan. Magnetic Media told you about that $550,000 spending allotted to solid waste management in our previous report; and the Premier in that Friday night statement explained that a robust campaign is due to be launched and will touch every island of the country.The over half a million dollars is devoted to that campaign.  The Health Minister called for people to stop littering and not to panic; still missing was information on areas in country where Zika has been detected.Magnetic Media has learned that Zika is present in both Provo and Grand Turk. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more