A man digging the foundations for his home here on Thursday stumbled upon a treasure trove of jewellery worth atleast ₹25 lakh, but the police say he can’t keep it. The police seized the jewellery — 650 gm of gold and 4.53 kg of silver ornaments — as it appeared to be over 100 years old and could be of archaeological significance, Hardoi Superintendent of Police Alok Priyadarshi said.‘No relevant papers’ “It was seized as the person in whose possession it was found had no relevant papers,” said Mr. Priyadarshi. The police learn about the jewellery after information about the find spread in the village. The man, who found the jewellery, first denied the incident but later admitted having unearthed it, they said.Treasure Trove Act Any jewellery or costly item dug out from earth is legally termed “treasure” and is governed by the Indian Treasure Trove Act, 1878. Under Section 4 of the Act, the finder of a “treasure” is supposed to apprise the district revenue officer either on his own or on receiving a notice. The finder is also required to deposit his find either with the district revenue officials or undertake to produce it before authorities when required.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL: Real Madrid complete deal for Man City whizkid Diazby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBrahim Diaz has joined Real Madrid from Manchester City to Real Madrid, in a deal worth £15.5m, and could rise to £22m with add-ons.Real confirmed the signing on Monday, several hours after Diaz had completed a medical.”I have arrived at a club that I dreamed of playing for as a child,” an emotional Diaz said. “I could not have received a better Christmas present than wearing the Real Madrid jersey.”When I decided that it was time to leave Manchester City, I only put three options on the table.”The first, to play for Real Madrid; the second, to play for Real Madrid; the third, to play for Real Madrid.”I never wanted to go anywhere else, it is impossible to go to a better club. I promise to give 100 per cent from the first day and to pay back the faith you have put in me.”The 19-year-old signing a six-and-a-half-year deal, which includes a clause that Manchester City will receive 15 per cent of any future transfer fee, which will rise to 40 per cent if the buying club is Manchester United.
Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Twitter My next option (which I thought would be the easiest thing to do), was to find a mentor to take me under their wing and allow me to observe their work in TV. I hoped I would be given the opportunity to network with their team (since this industry is all about who you know), but I hit another wall: shadowing a director is rare and coveted, and despite being unpaid, these are very tough gigs to get. I persevered but to no avail. Some programs offered the possibility of getting into TV, but you had to already have television experience, or at least shadowing experience. The chicken and egg conundrum was becoming real for me.That was when the Academy’s Apprenticeship for Women Directors came along. I initially decided not to apply since I figured that there must be some kind of catch. I managed, however, to fend off my skepticism long enough to read through the application guidelines and discover that this was it; this was the entry point. It was the exact opposite of most other programs. The Apprenticeship sought female directors who, like me, didn’t previously have access to being on the set of a TV show. The more experience you had, the less it worked in your favour … this program truly wanted to make a difference for emerging directors who wouldn’t otherwise have a way in.I sent in my application and, in what seemed like no time, received the incredible news that I had been accepted. The program started by introducing us to the industry during the Toronto International Film Festival. The media coverage alone raised my profile as a director. As our training began, we had online sessions with industry experts on a variety of topics. Login/Register With: Advertisement Facebook Being relatively new to Canada and having all of my film connections mostly in Egypt and the UK, I was eager to take part in any opportunity to get my foot in the Canadian industry’s door. Those opportunities made a remarkable difference in my understanding of the Canadian film landscape, allowing me to meet the right people and have calling card films that showcase my filmmaking style, ability, and voice: a voice with an Arabic accent.I have always been passionate about making films, but in recent years, I have become increasingly fixated on stepping into writing and directing for TV. I thought the transition from film to television would be seamless. After all, I have the education and a few successful short films as proof that I know what I’m doing. I was eager and ready. My plan began to falter though as I quickly discovered that television is a completely different beast; even if I had shot a feature, I would be starting my career all over again regardless to get into TV. I was perplexed…why did it have to be so difficult?
OTTAWA — The federal government will release a fall economic update later today that will seek to close the loop on some of its outstanding mandate commitments, leaving the door open for the Liberals to use next year’s budget as their 2019 election platform.The document will also include Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s long-awaited plan to help Canada compete for investment dollars, which many warn has become increasingly difficult following major tax and regulatory changes in the United States.Morneau has faced pressure to lower Canada’s corporate rate — but the government has signalled it will focus on targeted measures to accelerate investment rather than across-the-board tax cuts.A government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, says Ottawa’s competitiveness blueprint will be fiscally responsible and designed to entice companies to choose Canada over the U.S. when it comes to investments.The official says the fall statement will also show that Canada’s annual projections for the federal deficit and the debt burden will continue to slide downward on trajectories similar to those outlined in the 2018 budget.The Liberals have faced regular criticism from the Opposition Conservatives for abandoning their 2015 vow to run only modest annual shortfalls of no more than $10 billion and to eliminate the deficit by 2019.Morneau’s budget last February predicted an $18.1-billion shortfall for this fiscal year — a number expected to gradually shrink to $12.3 billion in 2022-23, including annual $3-billion cushions to offset risks.The Liberals have no timetable to eliminate the deficits even though the economy is running close to full strength, which has raised concerns among some economists.The Canadian Press
Guwahati: A journalist of a news TV channel was attacked with knives and seriously injured in an attack in a restaurant Ganeshguri locality here, police said Friday. Chakrapani Parashar, a journalist of satellite news channel News18/AssamNE, was stabbed by some workers of a restaurant adjacent to his office when he was on duty on Thursday night, police said. Police have detained four accused in connection with the attack. Parashar sustained serious injuries in various parts of his body and was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he is stated to be out of danger, the police said. Trouble began on Thursday afternoon when Parashar went with his unit to cover a fight between the main accused, who runs a restaurant in the same building as the news channel and some youths while playing Holi, News18 Assam/NE Deputy Manager (Operations) Aparup Barua said. “Though the news was not telecast, the restaurant owner started an argument with Parashar for covering the incident. In the evening when about five to six of our journalists, including Parashar, went to the restaurant to settle the matter amicably, the accused took out a dagger and stabbed him repeatedly,” Barua said. The accused has a criminal record and was arrested earlier too, he said. Various political parties – national and regional and journalists organisations have condemned the attack on Parashar. The Electronic Media Forum Assam (EMFA) has expressed concern over the attack and demanded stringent actions against the culprits. It also urged the state government to ensure security to media persons by enacting a special protection law at the earliest. In a statement here on Friday, EMFA claimed that increasing instances of physical assaults are being reported from various parts of the country and the Centre should take the matter seriously. It also appealed to all media persons across the country to be united over the issue.
London: It was double delight for India as it swept the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack Wednesday with Virat Kohli and Smriti Mandhana clinching the ‘Leading Cricketer of Year’ honours, continuing their award-winning spree. Kohli and Mandhana had won big in the last ICC Awards night too. Mandhana was adjudged ‘Women’s Cricketer of the Year’ as well as the ‘Women’s ODI Player of the Year’ by the ICC in December, while the talismanic Kohli won the Cricketer of the Year award besides finishing as the top batsman in Tests. Indian captain Kohli was named the Wisden Leading Cricketer of the year for the third successive time, having amassed 2735 runs across the three formats in 2018. The India skipper is only the third cricketer ever to have won the award more than three times after Don Bradman (10 times) and Jack Hobbs (8 times).
Despite a starting lineup consisting of all freshmen and sophomores, the Ohio State men’s golf captured its first victory of the season at the Windon Memorial. Freshman Max Rosenthal led the Buckeyes to a first-place finish out of 15 teams with a final score of 29-over 881 at the Skokie Country Golf Course in Glencoe, Ill. Rosenthal finished the first round of the tournament tied for 37th place with a score of 77 but turned things around with a second round score of 72, and a final round score of 70 to tie for 8th place individually. OSU went to the top of the leader board after finishing the first round in ninth place. The Eden Prairie, Minn., native attributed his aggressive comeback to his conservative play. “My game strategy was really conservative and I was just trying to hit a lot of fairways and greens,” Rosenthal said. “Just a matter of keeping a good mental focus because the course we played was really tough, but my strategy really helped out.” Not only was it Rosenthal’s first time leading the team, it was also his first tournament in the Buckeyes’ starting lineup. “I was a little nervous,” Rosenthal said. “I started off with four bogeys right away and coach came up to me and said, ‘All right, you got your nerves out of the way, now just go out there and play with confidence,’ and then I started making some puts and made a comeback.” Like Rosenthal, Buckeyes golfer sophomore Grant Weaver also made a comeback from 18th place after the first round to 12th place after the final round, finishing the tournament with a score of 220. Similarly, Weaver attributed his comeback to playing safe. “My strategy was to work with what I got because I was struggling hitting the ball so I tried to put myself in position where I could get up and down for par,” Weaver said. “I played safe because I wasn’t on top of my game all week.” Fellow Buckeyes sophomore Boo Timko and freshman Tee-K Kelly followed Weaver, tied for 17th place with a final score of 223. Freshman Michael Bernard rounded out the team lineup, tying for 37th place with a final score of 15-over 228. Sophomore Logan Jones competed individually placing 55th with a final score of 234 in his first tournament of the season. Coach Donnie Darr was pleased with the way the team finished the tournament. “We played exceptional the last two rounds,” Darr said. “Our first round score wasn’t really good but we didn’t play as bad as the score indicated, we just had a couple bad holes that drove our score up but overall pretty good this week.” The Buckeyes are scheduled to will take a break from tournament play before hosting the Jack Nicklaus Invitational at the Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio, Oct. 8-9. “It’s a good field at Muirfield,” Darr said. “It’s a great venue and a great opportunity for our players to play in front of their home fans.”
An Ohio State student organization is welcoming those who are looking to get in shape through strength training.The Buckeye Barbell Club has two primary goals — to give OSU students, faculty and staff the opportunity to get stronger and to promote the sport of powerlifting — with a focus on the latter. Participating in club workouts is free of charge, but a $20 fee is required each academic year to help cover entry fees for meets and the club T-shirt.“When it originally started, it was meant for people to strength train together and to help new people learn how to (lift), and actually competing was in the background,” said Evan Byrne, club member and graduate student in electrical and computer engineering. “As we’ve gone forward, it’s shifted to more of an emphasis on competing.”Powerlifting is a sport that consists of three specific types of lifts — the squat, the bench press and the deadlift — and club members learn how to correctly and efficiently do them in hopes of competing in meets, whether it be at the local, regional or national level. These lifts are learned through the “wealth of knowledge” experienced weightlifters provide, fifth-year in electrical and computer engineering and club member Alex Cramer said.“There’s a lot of instruction and encouragement,” Cramer said. “It’s a lot easier to go to the gym every day when there’s someone invested in helping you.”While emphasis is placed on training for and competing in meets, the club also provides a more casual atmosphere for those who just want to strength train for personal recreation and people with all levels of experience are encouraged to join.“A lot of people are hesitant to join because they have this mental image of what a powerlifter looks like, but in Buckeye Barbell, you can see that we have tons of different kinds of people represented: different majors, athletic backgrounds and body types,” said Victoria Liang, president of Buckeye Barbell Club and third-year in information systems. “We have people who have never touched a barbell and we have nationally-ranked athletes. Our common goal of getting stronger brings us together, and that supportive network drives everyone to succeed.”Liang said that mental image of what a powerlifter looks like was a driving force behind the creation of the club.“When I started lifting my freshman year, I was terribly clueless and self-conscious like many beginners,” Liang said. “I often wished I had a community of people who could help, support= and motivate me, and that became my inspiration for the club.”Another staple of the club is the opportunity to get involved. Members of the club regularly do volunteer work at high school powerlifting meets in the winter, as well as the Arnold Sports Festival, which takes place at the Columbus Convention Center annually.Liang said the club has about 50 active members who participate in various activities that the club takes part in, from training sessions to seminars to volunteering.
Following a 56-17 shellacking of Rutgers on Saturday, the Ohio State football team is looking ahead to its next challenge, a night game in State College, Pa., against Penn State.The Buckeyes (5-1, 2-0) are set to play just their second true road game of the season against the Nittany Lions (4-2, 1-2). OSU coach Urban Meyer met with the media Monday to discuss the upcoming game and recap the Rutgers win.Meyer made a point to thank the OSU fans for continuing to come out in big numbers. Ohio Stadium ranks first in the country in average attendance thus far in 2014.Meyer said he was pleased with the fast start the Buckeyes got out to as they scored on their opening drive for the fourth straight game.He said senior wide receiver Evan Spencer, redshirt-freshman H-back Jalin Marshall, senior tight end Jeff Heuerman, redshirt-sophomore offensive lineman Pat Elflein and junior offensive linemen Taylor Decker and Jacoby Boren graded out as offensive champions.Meyer emphasized the play of Spencer. Added he is one of the MVPs of the team right now.Sophomore running back Ezekiel Elliott was named offensive player of the game by Meyer.Despite winning Big Ten Offensive Player and Freshman of the Week, Meyer said redshirt-freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett could have played better in the game against Rutgers. Barrett did not grade out as a weekly champion.Meyer named senior defensive lineman Michael Bennett, sophomore defensive lineman Joey Bosa, redshirt-sophomore safety Tyvis Powell, junior linebacker Joshua Perry and senior cornerback Doran Grant as defensive champions.Meyer said Grant played his best game as a Buckeye against Rutgers.Meyer said the Penn State defense stands out to him. The Nittany Lions rank first in the country in rush defense.Meyer said he has “a lot of respect for their big quarterback,” sophomore Christian Hackenberg. Hackenberg leads the Big Ten in passing yards per game.Meyer said playing at Penn State in 2012 was one of the top-five atmospheres he has played in. Added he feels much more comfortable now sending Barrett in as a starter than he would have a few weeks ago.Injury reportMeyer said Boren rolled his ankle against Rutgers, but should be ready to go against Penn State.Meyer said he does not know the status of junior linebacker Devan Bogard who sustained an injury on special teams Saturday. Bogard has missed extended time with knee injuries in the past.Defensive line coach and former Penn State assistant Larry Johnson Sr. said the status of redshirt-senior defensive lineman Rashad Frazier is still unknown for Saturday.Wide receivers coach Zach Smith said he believes sophomore H-back Dontre Wilson will be able to play against Penn State after sitting out most of the second half against Rutgers.The Buckeyes are scheduled to take on the Nittany Lions Saturday at 8 p.m.
Fekir who was on the verge of sealing a deal to Liverpool from Lyon for £53m last weekend had the deal thrashed over over concerns about his medical.However, there are indications that the Anfield bosses could revive their interest to sign him if the France international becomes available at a cheaper price. But former Liverpool winger John Barnes believes supporters should not be concerned if Klopp abandons his interest.“If they feel that there is a medical issue then they shouldn’t [sign him],” Barnes, speaking on behalf of Bonus Code Bets, told DailyStar.“Liverpool have to do what they think is right and Jurgen Klopp has to make those decisions.Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“Obviously, we trust Jurgen Klopp and the choices he makes so if Jurgen Klopp decides not to sign him then we shouldn’t say no.“If he decides to sign him with his slight injury but it’s not an injury that’s going to stop him playing and we feel it’s worth it then I’ll back him.”One of the main priorities on Liverpool’s transfer agenda this summer is a new goalkeeper following Loris Karius’ two catastrophic errors in the Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid. A mistake that pressed home the anxiety among fans and pundits that a new man was needed between the sticks.