Listen to “The Midday Report” from Monday February 10th
“I definitely have got to play with more discipline,” St. Pierre said after the Fernie game.“I thought (check) was clean but I can’t be taking risks like that anymore and I’m certainly starting to understand that now.”Despite losing twice during his last suspension — 6-5 in overtime to Castlegar and 5-2 to Grand Forks — St. Pierre is confident the Leafs can get the job done without their captain.“We’ve got a full defensive lineup now so that’s going to help the blueline but we also have a really strong leadership group I trust will easily make up for my absence and show be able to do a fine job without me,” he said.Joining St. Pierre in the stands is converted defenceman Blair Andrews, also serving a two-game suspension for the game accumulation of head contact minor penalties.Vlanich on way to Selkirk Saints next seasonFill the net and scouts will come calling.Which is why no one is surprised by the Selkirk Saints announcing earlier this week the Castlegar-based squad has received a commitment to play next fall from Trail native Jamie Vlanich.The 20-year-old sniper leads the KIJHL in scoring with 32 goals and 58 assists in 41 games.Vlanich also notched his 200th point during Saturday’s 5-1 win over Fernie.BV assistant suspended for abuse of an officialBeaver Valley Nitehawks will be a little short staffed on the bench for the weekend set against Nelson as assistant coach Jeremy Cominotto was handed a gross misconduct following the Hawks 3-1 loss to Fernie January 31.Cominotto is suspended for the next three games for abuse of an official. So does it really matter how the regular season plays out for the Beaver Valley Nitehawks and the Nelson Leafs?Nelson currently leads the Murdoch Division by four points as both teams prepare to play a Kootenay International Junior Hockey League home-and-home series beginning Friday in the Heritage City.However, Beaver Valley has played only 45 games to Nelson’s 47.But the way this season is shaping up, both teams no doubt will be seeing the other in the Murdoch Final come March.Entering the weekend the Hawks and Leafs have three more games against each other.Nelson has five games left on the regular season schedule while Beaver Valley has seven.Puck drop is 7 p.m. Friday in Nelson and 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Hawks Nest.Leafs Captain Darnel St. Pierre sits for both gamesThe Leafs will one again be missing captain Darnel St. Pierre from the lineup as the burly defenceman was whistled for another head contact penalty last Saturday against Fernie.
Filoil: UST posts first win, dumps JRU Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Folayang, who’s been out of action for almost six months, will return to the ONE cage on Friday to take on Kharun Atlangeriev in the Unstoppable Dreams card at Singapore Indoor Stadium in a fight where he would be more calculated this time around.“I will be more careful but that won’t mean I won’t be impressive because the aggressiveness is still there,” said Folayang, the former ONE lightweight champion, Tuesday at Mercure Singapore Bugis. “My team and I will still look at the possible attacks that will be the most effective for me come fight night.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownFolayang went on a relentless striking spree against Shinya Aoki back in November of 2016 to win the lightweight belt and he employed a similar tactic when he fought Nguyen a year later.Eduard Folayang. Photo by Bong Lozada/INQUIRER.netREAD: Stunning KO loss ‘big lesson learned’ for Folayang The legendary Team Lakay member went for a spinning back kick but Nguyen clocked him with a well-timed overhand right that knocked him out cold at the 2:20 mark of the second round.ONE Championship chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong said Folayang (18-6) will likely get another title shot if he scores an impressive win over Atlangeriev (11-0).READ: ‘Impressive win’ over Russian earns Folayang ONE title shot“The title is just there… and of course I want to win this fight,” said Folayang. “If I win then I will have a chance to ask for the title fight.”ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial SINGAPORE — The loss to Martin Nguyen back in November made Eduard Folayang a changed man.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments
The Parent Teachers’ Association of the CV Nunes Primary School in Anna Regina, Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), has called out the Regional Education Department over its non-action to rectify unsanitary conditions at the school.Acting Regional Chairperson, Nandranie Coonjah stands next to a condemned septic tank near the Anna Regina Nursery School which poses a danger to childrenSpeaking with Guyana Times, Chairman of the PTA Rasheeda Persaud said that she is at her wits end with the situation of the sanitary block of the CV Nunes Primary School. On Friday, the media and acting Regional Chairperson Nandranie Coonjah were invited to the school to have a firsthand look at the washroom facility. During the visit, it was observed that some of the toilets at the school were not functioning and the few operational ones, including the male urinals, are overflowing. The PTA Chairman noted that the septic tank is in a terrible condition and needs flushing out. The drainage pipes, which are underground, are too small and silted up, causing overtopping of the septic tank. That waste then flows into the drains around the school and when it rains the situation is worse, the PTA Chairman said. There are some 750 students at the leading learning institution.The acting Regional Chairperson also visited the Anna Regina Nursery School, where concerned parents reported of a condemned septic tank, which is located in front of the school’s building with a broken, opened top which is covered with a zinc sheet. Parents are fearful for their children’s safety and are calling for the immediate dismantle and removal of the condemned septic tank.The concerned parents also complained that despite numerous reports, no action has been taken to rectify the situation.One parent told this publication that some months ago, two regional workers visited the compound to examine the situation but nothing has happened since that initial assessment.The acting Regional Chairperson said that she is very disappointed with the pace of work and the way things are being done in the region.She said she will be advocating for immediate action to be taken to fix the problems in the school system including the furnishing of teachers’ living quarters in the interior locations within the region.
At issue, say two political challengers, is the loss of open space and the future of the San Fernando Valley’s newest city. But the two incumbents counter that they’ve helped make Calabasas one of the nation’s “greenest” municipalities. In a city famous for its bans on smoking, Styrofoam cups and light-pollution, each candidate has flashed their environmental “green” card credentials. “I call it green against phony green,” said challenger Dale Reicheneder, 41, a homeowners association attorney and national trail-running champion. “What I’d like to see is unwanted development (to) stop.” Symbolic of the debate are 48 detached condos on Las Virgenes Road built by Shea Homes and known as the Colony at Calabasas. CALABASAS – At the gateway to Calabasas, artists once set up roadside easels to paint sheep grazing along the hills. Then the city allowed 48 condos to obscure the pastoral scene. “Now it’s these crowded town homes right smack in the front yard of the sheepherder’s hut,” said Nancy Goldsen, 55, of Calabasas. “Couldn’t we do a better job of safeguarding the gateway to our community?” The condos along Las Virgenes Road have become central in a bitter fight for two City Council seats to be decided by voters Tuesday. Mayor Dennis Washburn, 64, a founder of this southwest Valley city of 23,000, said the development was entitled before Calabasas became a city in 1991. The four-term mayor, now up for re-election, said he helped steer what would have been a 200,000-square-foot shopping center into 48 homes abutted on three sides by open space. “To the charge that this is a pro-development council, tell that to the folks at Washington Mutual, which had to sell us Ahmanson Ranch, or to the folks at Soka (University), which sold the people of California their land,” Washburn said. “Tell that to the Micor Co., which sold us the land for the Las Virgenes Trail, instead of (building) homes.” “I hope that the people judge me – and the council – by our body of work.” But the bitter fight over development has spilled onto the editorial pages of the local community paper. And on Wednesday, a candidate debate devolved into a shouting match with the mayor walking out of the room. Critics point to ugly mansions sprouting up along Mulholland Highway. Or mega-car dealerships popping up along the 101 Freeway. Or porch lights now shining over once-virgin ridgelines of the Santa Monica Mountains. Perhaps no one is more central to the City Hall fight than Toby Keeler, 62, a former planning commissioner who has based his campaign on protecting open space. But Keeler, it was revealed during the race, cast the deciding vote to approve the Shea Homes condos when he was a planning commissioner. “The bottom line, as far as I’m concerned, is what is built was not what was approved,” said Keeler, who said he is the only candidate endorsed by the Sierra Club and has shunned campaign donations from developers. “The building in this city is not what was promised.” Barry Groveman, 53, an environmental attorney whose seat is up for grabs, once helped author a state clean-water bill and recently helped pass a Calabasas open-space preservation ordinance. But he’s also taken flack for accepting thousands from developers during a recent bid for the state Assembly. He said the condo development was approved long before he was elected to the council. “Do I like it?” he said. “Of course not. Who wants to lose the sheep on the hill? But if the project was entitled, we have to respect the law.” firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3730 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
CALGARY, A.B. – Canada’s finance minister says the best way to convince a skeptical oilpatch that the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion Ottawa approved Tuesday will actually be built is to go ahead and build it.Bill Morneau told reporters after giving a speech in downtown Calgary that the $7.4-billion project to triple capacity on the line from Edmonton to the West Coast is moving ahead with getting permits.He repeated a commitment made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday that construction on the project will begin in this year’s building season, without being specific as to exactly when.- Advertisement -In his speech to the Economic Club of Canada, Morneau acknowledged the “huge amount of anxiety” in Calgary over the future of the oil and gas sector despite the federal approval nearly 10 months after the Federal Court of Appeal quashed the pipeline’s 2016 approval.He insisted Canada can approve pipelines and still battle climate change, drawing a link between the issue of global warming and Western Canada’s wildfire problem this spring.But much of the speech was devoted to an election-style listing of his government’s economic accomplishments over the past three years _ a federal election is expected in October.Advertisement “What we said yesterday was that we renewed that (pipeline) approval,” Morneau told reporters.“What’s happening today is we’re back at work. The re-permitting is happening starting today. We are going to get work going this construction season. I want people in Alberta and people across the country to know that intent is real.”
There was an all Iberian cast in another eye-catching quarter-final draw as capital outfits Atletico Madrid, who many see as the main pretenders to the title, drew Sporting Lisbon.Former European champions Marseille will take on rising German force RB Leipzig, while exciting Italian outfit Lazio face the draw’s minnows Austria’s Red Bull Salzburg, who knocked out Borussia Dortmund in the last round.All the matches are played on the same day with the first leg coming on April 5 and the return a week later on April 12.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Arsenal, though, return home with two away goals, one foot in the last eight and their shattered confidence very much restored.NYON, Switzerland, Mar 16 – London club Arsenal will take on CSKA Moscow after being drawn together in a Europa League quarter-final in Nyon on Friday at a time of strained relations between Britain and Russia.British Prime Minister Theresa May this week expelled 23 Russian diplomats over the nerve agent poisoning of a former spy, and said British royals and ministers would not attend the World Cup in Russia this year.
0Shares0000Man Utd on the cusp of hiring AllegriLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 16 – Manchester United are reportedly close to securing the services of former Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri to take over from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.Solskjaer has endured a difficult start to the season, and United are already 15 points off rivals Liverpool at the top after just eight games. United’s hierarchy are closing in on the appointment of former Juventus boss Allegri in a deal worth £6.5m a year, reports Tuttosport.The Italian boss is unemployed after leaving Juventus at the end of the last campaign but only after he lifted a fifth consecutive Serie A title.Last season, Jose Mourinho was sacked by Manchester United before Christmas and the pressure is now building on Solskjaer.Talks with Allegri are said to have intensified following United’s latest defeat to Newcastle.Tottenham, meanwhile, are also keeping tabs on the ex-Juventus boss with the future of Mauricio Pochettino still unclear.The situation is expected to be cleared up relatively quickly, with Allegri pushing for United to decide quickly as he wants as much time to revive the club’s ‘already compromised’ season.0Shares0000(Visited 58 times, 1 visits today)
There has been widespread shock at the sudden death of young Letterkenny woman Maggie Doherty (nee Dorrian).The mother of five young children, who was just 34, passed away at Letterkenny General Hospital in the early hours of this morning following a brave battle with illness.The wife of Ciaran Doherty, the couple lived in Glenswilly with their children. Maggie was a member of the well-known Dorrian family from Rahan who run a building contracting business.She will be removed from Letterkenny General Hospital today at 5pm today to be waked at her home.Her funeral will take place at midday on Monday at Glenswilly chapel.Donegal Daily would like to pass on our deepest sympathy to the Doherty and Dorrian families. Maggie was a lady and a terrific wife, sister and friend.Her passing is all the more difficult considering her young age. RIP. TRAGIC PASSING OF YOUNG MOTHER OF FIVE was last modified: July 21st, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deathMaggie DorrianRIP
Attention all Bootcampers….this Thursday the team from Optimal Fitness are moving their Bootcamp to Rathmullan beach.The free Class will start at 7pm and is open to everyone.So spread the word go along for an evening of fun and fitness. “The forecast is good,” said Optimal’s Michael Black.“So if bootcampers want to bring their swim gear there is an optional dip in the sea afterwards!” GET THAT BEACH BODY AT THE FREE BEACH BOOTCAMP! was last modified: September 3rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GET THAT BEACH BODY AT THE FREE BEACH BOOTCAMP!